More
    Home Blog Page 122

    COVID-19: We Are Not Returning FG’s Rice ― Ekiti Government

    0
    Dr. John Kayode Fayemi, Executive Governor Ekiti State

    The Ekiti State government on Monday declared that the bags of rice supplied to the state by the federal government through the ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development would not be returned.

    The commissioner for Information, Mr Muyiwa Olumilua in a chat with Tribune Online said the 1,800 bags and the kegs of vegetable oil delivered to the state were in good shape and consumable.

    There were reports that governors in the South-West states had concluded plans to return the rice said to have expired.

    The Oyo and Ondo State government have announced they would be returning some bags of rice to the federal government.
    Olumilua explained that the bags were already in the state’s food bank, saying it would further help in cushioning the untold hardship following the COVID-19 lockdown in the state.

    ” I can confirm we have received the consignment from the federal government and they are not expired rice, I must tell you. We have no reason to return the rice and we have them deposited in our food bank,” he said.

    When asked when the rice will be distributed to the residents, the commissioner for Information said, ” We are working on it at the food bank because you know we are not giving to the people a bag of rice. We have to package it in units with other materials in the palliatives bag and it will soon be distributed to the people.”

    Infected Nigerians will be treated in China –FG

    0
    Geoffery Onyeama


    The Federal Government has said that Nigerians infected by the coronavirus would not be evacuated to the country, adding that they would receive treatment in their country of residence.

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that the positive cases could not wait till they were repatriated home before starting treatment, noting that this would be dangerous to their host community.

    The MFA spokesman, Mr Ferdinand Nwonye, said this on Friday in response to questions from our correspondent in Abuja on the planned evacuation of over 2,000 Nigerians abroad, some of whom have tested positive for COVID-19.

    Gist Arena Nig had reported that 72 Nigerians in Guangzhou and 10 others in the United Kingdom tested positive for the virus.

    Responding to queries on the process for the evacuation, Nwonye stated, “Those who tested positive would be receiving treatment in China. Are they going to wait till they are evacuated, did they know when the evacuation would take place?

    “The best option is that they would submit themselves to the local authorities and receive treatment because the evacuation would be by countries and in batches. Staying there without treatment is even dangerous to the host community.”

    Meanwhile, the number of Nigerians who tested positive for the coronavirus in Guangzhou, the capital of Guangdong Province, China, has risen to 74.

    Our correspondent gathered on Saturday that two more persons returned positive on Friday, increasing the number to 74 from the 72 reported on Wednesday.

    It was learnt that the Guangzhou Municipal authorities had informed the Nigerian Consulate about the latest development. it was also informed that the Chinese authorities are tracing 107 contacts of the positive cases in Guangzhou.

    Findings indicate that many Nigerians awaiting evacuation in Guangzhou travelled to the city on business and have exhausted their funds after they were put in quarantine in hotels by the government.

    Some of them complained that they were kept in luxury hotels and made to pay exorbitant charges.

    The compulsory quarantine followed a decision by the Guangdong Province to put all foreign visitors from abroad on two-week isolation on arrival in Guangzhou.

    It was gathered that other Nigerians who had been living in the city without valid visas and permits were also agitating for evacuation by the Federal Government as it would be difficult for them to leave China otherwise.

    Findings show that the reported racial hatred and maltreatment of Nigerians in Guangzhou began when five Nigerians who allegedly tested positive for COVID-19 broke quarantine and frequented an African restaurant where they infected its owner, who then passed the virus on to her eight-year-old daughter.

    Bauchi Records Three New COVID-19 Cases, Total Now 14

    0
    Bauchi State Government

    It has been confirmed that Bauchi State now has a total of 14 positive cases of COVID-19, 8 are classified active following the confirmation of three new cases as at Sunday evening.

    Confirmation of the three new positive cases as contained in the state COVID-19 Situation Operation Room of the Ministry of Health was made by Executive Chairman of Bauchi State Primary Health Care Development Agency, (BASPHCDA), Dr Rilwan Mohammed, who spoke to Tribune Online in a telephone interview late on Sunday evening.

    “All the three new cases are women who came in from Kano and Abuja. We are tracing their contacts in Bauchi, Kano and Abuja in order to determine their status,” he further disclosed.

    Rilwanu Mohammed, however, said that one more person was successfully treated, tested negative to COVID-19 infection and was discharged saying that the results were sent to him from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Abuja, at about 2.00 pm on Sunday.

    The BASPHCDA Chairman said: “Yes, we have three additional cases in the state. This brings to 14 the total number of cases in the state. The active cases are now eight. These new cases are fresh ones, they are not the contacts of any of the confirmed cases. Two of them are returnees from Kano State while the other one came into the state from Abuja.”

    ALSO READ: Nigeria records 91 new cases of coronavirus, total now 1273

    He added that “We also discharged one more person on Sunday which means we have discharged a total of six people who tested negative.”

    Rilwanu Mohammed however assured that the State Rapid Response Taskforce is doing everything humanly possible to check the spread of the infection in the state stressing that contact tracing of the positive index cases has been intensified while all those who tested positive have been isolated and started receiving treatment.

    He also stressed that people should maintain high standards of hygienic living by washing their hands regularly with clean flowing water and soap and thereafter apply hand sanitizers stressing also that masks should be used but more importantly people should stay at home and avoid contact with others by practising social distancing.

    Kyari, The Missing Script In Aso Rock

    0
    Late Abba Kyari, Former Chief of Staff of the Federation

    Death is the precious price to be paid by everyone irrespective of race, religion, educational background and status. Like Abba Kyari, everyone would definitely pay the price.

    President Buhari’s Chief of Staff served his boss with love, strength and faith but he turned to an object of ridicule and reproach after his eternal transition. What a pity, his perceived loyalty has caused a serious migraine to many who only believe in what they read in the media.

    Funny enough, many still believe Abba Kyari died weeks ago but the Federal Government of Nigeria only announced it last Saturday. The source of this news could be traced to Kemi Olunloyo and as a matter of fact, nothing can change the mindset of her fans to check the veracity of her assertion.

    Most people celebrating his death would remain quiet if one asks them of his wrongdoings as a Chief of Staff. They don’t actually have points other than what they read in the media. They have forgotten that most of the people releasing derogatory publications about Abba Kyari have their own interest. If it is about Nigerian politicians, they only fight for their interest and not for the masses. So, don’t ever think they are criticizing Abba Kyari for a better Nigeria. If people that only fight for their pockets could go against Abba Kyari because they could not penetrate as expected, why would Nigerians think Abba Kyari was bad as Chief of Staff when other political grandeurs are worse.

    If Abba Kyari should be criticized for President Buhari’s flaws in office, he should bear both the good and the bad representation. Celebrating his death for the poor performance of the president is wickedness. He should be praised for the good representation as well. Since I have grown up, I have come to realise one thing in Nigeria; Nigerians will never appreciate an elected president when he is in power. We are Nigerians; we only praise our presidents after their tenures. I know Buhari will also become a hero after his administration despite the level of criticism he is facing now. Why mocking the death of Abba Kyari when you are coming to celebrate Buhari later?

    May the departed souls who lost the battle to Coronavirus, including Abba Kyari, who is the missing script in Aso Rock, continue to rest in peace.

    Usman Issa,

    Kwara State

    Nigeria Records 91 New Cases Of Coronavirus, Total Now 1273

    0
    Source: NCDC

    The total number of coronavirus cases in Nigeria has increased to 1273 after 91 new infections were recorded on Sunday.

    The 91 new cases were recorded in Lagos, Sokoto, Taraba, Kaduna, Gombe, Ondo, FCT, Edo, Oyo, Rivers, Bauchi, Osun, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Ebonyi, Kebbi.

    The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) made this known via its Twitter handle on Sunday.

    Another Professor, Balarabe Maikaba Dies In Kano

    0
    Late Professor Balarabe Maikaba, Bayero University, Kano

    A Professor of Mass Communication at Bayero University in Kano (BUK), Balarabe Maikaba is dead.

    Maikaba passed away on Sunday but details of his death were sketchy as of the time of filing this report

    The burial of the deceased is ongoing in accordance with Islamic rites.

    The development comes as many still worry over the recent mysterious deaths of top Kano indigenes.

    Maikaba is said to be the sixth professor to have died in one week in the state which has recorded harvests of death during the coronavirus pandemic.

    Kaduna State Govt Extends Lockdown By 30 Days

    0
    Nasir El-Rufai, Kaduna State Governor

    Kaduna State Government has extended the lockdown occasioned by the coronavirus pandemic in the state by 30 days.

    This was contained in a statement on Sunday signed by Muyiwa Adekeye, media aide to Governor Nasir El-Rufai.

    The government had imposed its quarantine orders on the state for one month beginning March 26.

    According to the statement, the governor’s extension decision followed the recommendation of the State Standing Committee on COVID-19 chaired by the Deputy Governor, Dr Hadiza Balarabe.

    It said the increasing record of coronavirus cases in neighbouring cities, especially Abuja, called for stiffer measures to be taken to curb the spread of the pandemic.

    The government stated that the lockdown extension is effective Sunday, April 26, 2020, adding that the two-day window during which the restriction of movement was relaxed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays has been reduced to only one day; Wednesdays.

    The statement read in part, “All persons that venture out of their homes for whatever reason must wear facemasks and observe social distancing everywhere they go, in markets and in authorised vehicles.

    “All residents of Kaduna State are quarantined and must stay at home. No office, event centre, market, shop or business of any sort or place of worship is allowed to open.

    “The only category of persons exempted are workers in essential services such as health workers, the fire service, water corporation, electricity distribution and security personnel. Tankers conveying fuel to petrol stations are also permitted to move.

    “Businesses in the food and pharmaceutical value-chain are exempted and shall enjoy the protection accorded to other essential services.

    “Schools, places of worship, event centres, sports grounds, bars, restaurants, public parks and all other places where large crowds could gather are to remain closed until further notice.”

    The government stressed that no visitor is welcome in the state during the pandemic, adding that mobile courts have been empowered to try violators and impose the prescribed penalties, including fines, imprisonment and forfeiture of vehicles, upon conviction.

    According to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control as of Saturday night, 10 of the 1182 coronavirus cases reported in the country were confirmed in Kaduna State.

    “I Was Approached To Join In Destroying Tinubu” — El-Rufai

    0
    Gov. Nasir El-Rufai Governor of Kaduna Sate

    The Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on Friday, claimed that some unnamed people asked him to join in a plot to destroy All Progressive Congress (APC) leader, Senator Bola Tinubu.

    Governor El-Rufai stated this while he was playing host to 121 members-elect of the House of Representatives who were on a consultation tour of the North West on Friday at the Government House in Kaduna.

    The governor was invited to deliver a lecture in Lagos last month on godfatherism, where he said that he had an answer to godfatherism as he had retired four godfathers in Kaduna.

    According to him, during the last election only 1 million registered voters came out to vote in Lagos out of the 5 million voters, so he asked why did the remaining voters refused to come out, pointing out, if he is the governor of Lagos he will out on those who did not come out to vote to defeat the godfathers in Lagos apparently referring to Tinubu.

    However, el-Rufai said it was “a generic statement”, adding that he had a template that was used to retire some godfathers in Kaduna State.

    He said: “That was not an attack on Asiwaju, it was a generic statement, but the whole thing took a media frenzy because to some people, Asiwaju is a meal ticket.

    “Let me tell you, because of that, some people started confessing to me that Asiwaju should be dealt with.

    “They said Asiwaju wants to finish you, he has been abusing you, we should finish him by finishing his man, Femi Gbajabiamila.”

    However, contrary to insinuations in some quarters, el-Rufai had disclosed that Femi Gbajabiamila was President Muhammadu Buhari’s choice for the Speakership position of the 9th House of Representatives.

    “I told them that this is not about Asiwaju but President Buhari and I will fight it with the last drop my blood. I told them to change their mind.

    “I went to Asiwaju and told him that we will do what we can to make this project a success.”

    0

    The President in a statement signed by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, described the late Mato as a very thorough, trustworthy and dependable soldier, who carried out his duty with diligence and focus.

    Shehu said, “After three years of struggling with diabetes, one of President Muhammadu Buhari’s bodyguards, Warrant Officer Lawal Mato, on Tuesday passed away.

    “The President described the officer, who had been working with him for many years before he won the 2015 elections, as very thorough, trustworthy and dependable soldier who carried out his duty with diligence and focus.

    “President Buhari prayed that Allah will ease his passage to paradise and grant his family, government and people of Jigawa State, the fortitude to bear the loss.

    “Mato was part of a team that former President Umaru Musa Yar’adua restored to President Buhari as personal security and he had been off full duty for three years, treating diabetes.”

    President Muhammadu Buhari has announced the death of his personal bodyguard, Wo Lawal Mato.